(If you are a User having your usual residence in the US)
Last updated: December 2020.
Move the Chain respects your privacy and will only process and use your information as part of providing you with our Services. We will only collect and use information from you as described in this Policy.
1. What information do we collect?
Depending on how you interact with us, either directly or through your authorized agent(s), we process different kinds of data and in different ways. Data is only processed if you or your authorized agent(s) actively submit it to us. Data we collect and/or process in the course of providing our services:
Information you choose to provide
For certain activities, including registration or uploading Content to the platform, we may collect some or all of the following information.
- Registration information, such as email address, phone number, and password.
- Profile information, such as profile image or video, bio, the Causes and favorite nonprofit organizations you care to display on your profile.
- Challenge video content, such as challenge name, challenge friends, supported nonprofit organization, description of the video as well as video or materials you would like associated with the challenge. You will need to connect to our third party payment processor, PayPal to process the donation payment for the Cause you have selected. We do not process payments; therefore, we do not collect or store any payment information.
- Other user-generated content, including likes and comments.
- Feedback obtained with your consent, to improve the experience on the Platform.
- Your phone and social network contacts. If you choose to find existing Move the Chain Users through your phone contacts, we will access and collect your contacts’ names and phone numbers and match the information against the Users in our Platform. If you choose to find Users through your social network contacts, we will collect your public profile information as well as names and profiles of your social network contacts and perform a match against the Users in our Platform.
- Your communication, security and privacy preferences.
- Information to verify your account.
- Any additional information you share with us, including but not limited to, surveys, reporting an issue and feature recommendations.
Information we collect automatically
We automatically collect the following information about the device you use to access the Platform:
- Usage data: We process usage data to allow you to utilize the Platform and to ensure its functionality. We also process it to perform analyses on the performance of the Platform, to continuously improve its functionalities and correct errors, to ensure IT security and operation of our systems, as well as to prevent or uncover abuse. We further process this data in aggregated or pseudonymized form to analyze trends, administer the Platform, track Users’ movements around the Platform, and to gather information about our User base to improve our algorithm and User experience, analyze preferences to provide custom content and guaranteeing the safety of our IT systems. Even if you are only a visitor to our Platform, your computer or device automatically sends technical information to our web servers that we store in log files. Usage data include the following:
- Date and time of the visit and the duration of use of the Platform.
- The visited subsites of the Platform.
- Device-specific data: We may also automatically collect device-specific information when you install, access, or use our mobile application. This information may include information such as the type of device, IP address of your device and ISP (Internet service provider), hardware model, operating system information, app version, debugging information, browser information, device identifiers and installed plug-ins.
- Location data: When you use our mobile application, you may consent to share your geo-location details with us in order to provide you with custom content. We may use and store information about your location to provide features and to improve and customize the Services. We will only share your geo-location details with third parties in order to provide you with the Services.
- Cookies: We use the following types of cookies (you may adjust the cookie settings in your browser at any time): (i) Required Cookies (these cookies are required to enable core site functionality), which allow us to remember log-in details, provide secure log-in and remember your task or transaction progress; and; (ii) Functional Cookies (these cookies enable additional functionalities, like saving preferences, allowing social interactions, and analyzing usage for Platform optimization), allowing us to analyze Platform usage to provide custom content, conduct analytics to optimize Platform functionality, enable third parties to provide social sharing tools and make sure the Platform looks consistent.
Information we collect from other sources
- Social Media: If you choose to link your account to other social networks, we may collect information from these social media services, including your contact list.
- Other Users of the Platform: In certain cases, other Users may raise a complaint regarding content on your profile and posted by you.
- Public sources: We may collect information about you from public sources, to confirm your identity.
2. Information we share with third party providers
We treat your Personal Data with care and confidentially and will only pass it on to third parties to the extent described below and not beyond. We do not share, sell, rent, or trade Personal Data with third parties for any promotional purposes. Where our affiliates or service providers process Personal Data, they will do so solely on our instructions and have undertaken to comply with strict contractual requirements for the security of your data:
- Donation Payment Processing Provider: We partner with PPGF to ensure your charitable donations benefit the nonprofit organizations of your choice. PPGF receives donations from Users as charity of record on our Platform and provides you with the donation receipt. PPGF then grants the funds to the nonprofit you recommended on our Platform, subject to its terms. When making a donation, PPGF will receive donor data, and Users may opt to grant PPGF permission to further share the data with the benefitting charities.
- Affiliated Service Providers: We may collaborate with another affiliated company to provide you with additional services. Our use of your Personal Data is limited to the specific request in you have requested or elected to use and we will only share specific Personal Data that is required for completion of this service request.
- Analytics Service Providers: We use data analytics providers to ensure Platform functionality is working effectively and to improve the Services offered on our Platform. We use mobile analytics software to allow us to understand the functionality of the mobile application on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, what happens within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, application errors and debugging information, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information that you submit within the mobile application.
- Content Management and Moderation Service Providers: We collaborate with content management service providers to curate the content on our Platform to our Users’ preferences. We share behavior information to inform our algorithms and personalize your experience. We also leverage visual and text content moderation service providers to filter inappropriate content posted on the Platform, fostering a positive and hate-free environment.
3. How do we use your personal information?
As described above, we do not share, sell, rent, or trade Personal Data with third parties for any promotional purposes. We collect data to improve our Platform and its functionalities, ensure your safety and security, and foster a positive experience on the Platform. We generally use the information for the purposes described below:
- Providing and improving our Services: We may use customer information as it is necessary to pursue our legitimate interests of improving our Services for our Users, understanding how our Services are being used, and exploring and unlocking ways to develop and grow our offerings.
- Keeping our Service safe and secure: We may also use customer information for safety and security purposes, in order to ensure the security of our Services.
We will not process or share your personal information without your consent, except based on the following legal grounds:
- It is necessary to comply with a legal obligation, a court order, or to exercise or defend legal claims.
- It is necessary for the purposes of our or a third party's legitimate interests, such as those of visitors, members, or partners.
- You have expressly made the information public.
- It is necessary in the public interest.
- It is necessary to protect your vital interests, or those of others.
4. How do we protect your data?
The security of your personal information is important to us. Your account information is protected by a password. It is important that you protect against unauthorized access to your account and information by choosing your password carefully and by keeping your password and computer secure, such as by signing out after using the services. In the event you forget your password, we enabled dual-factor authentication controls to confirm your identity prior to giving you access to the Platform.
We follow industry best practices to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and after it is received. Some of these standards are:
- Encryption of certain information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
- Protection of the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of all customer information systems.
- Definition and monitoring of IT security standards aligned with industry regulations.
- Implementation of vulnerability management techniques according to which we scan and map our network, prioritize areas of importance and apply fixes and safeguards.
- Application of safeguard firewalls and anti-virus tools to detect/prevent attacks.
- Continuous monitoring for security risks and maintenance of patch updated infrastructure.
- Security awareness trainings to our personnel.
We regularly review, test and update our security policies and systems in order to meet the highest standards of data security. Unfortunately, no method of transmission over the internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
5. Your Rights
We know that our Users value having control over their own information, so we give you the choice of providing or editing certain information, as well as choices about how we contact you. Customers may also update, delete, access, or change their account information by editing their User profiles. To update your profile, login to your account at on our mobile application or on the web at https://www.movethechain.com/and click on "Settings". You have also the following additional rights with respect to your information:
- Data access and portability: You can submit a request to access or delete the information we have collected about you by sending your request to us at the email provided in the Contact section at the bottom of this policy. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law and subject to proper verification. We do not discriminate based on the exercise of any privacy rights that you might have, so long as the information is not necessary to the Platform's operation or usage.
- Data correction and/or editing: Personal, password and payment information can be easily changed by logging into your Move the Chain account.
- Delete personal content: The personal content posted on your profile can be deleted at any time by logging in to your account, select the content you want to delete, and click on the delete button.
- Account deletion: You may delete your account at any time and no longer be visible. We will then delete any information associated with your account.
- Location tracking: You can switch off GPS location information functionality on your mobile device if you do not wish to share GPS information.
- Cookies: You may be able to refuse or disable Cookies by adjusting your browser settings. Because each browser is different, please consult the instructions provided by your browser.
- Marketing communications: Where we use your data for direct marketing purposes, you can always object by withdrawing your consent, using the "unsubscribe" link in such communications or changing your marketing preference settings.
- Withdrawal of consent or objection to processing: You can object to data processing in certain limited circumstances. In such cases, we will cease processing your information unless we have compelling legitimate grounds to continue processing or where it is needed for legal reasons.
- Right not to be subject to a decision based only on automated processing: Much of Move the Chain's processing (challenge creation, content sharing, etc.) is automated in order to protect the security of your information and bring you high quality services. Decisions based on automated processing cannot be avoided when they are necessary to perform the services or authorized by law. Move the Chain strives to meet its customers' inquiries. If you have a concern about your service or the processing of your information, please contact customer service.
6. Changes to this Policy
Questions, comments and requests regarding this policy should be addressed to:
Mailing address: 6 Landmark Square, 4th Floor, Stamford, CT 06901
Contact us: [email protected]